Top Church Growth Opportunities of 2023: Millennials (Yes, Millennials)
Looking for top church growth opportunities? Then it’s time to ditch your outdated stereotype of millennials.
After nearly two decades of massive Gen Y exodus from the church, the tide is turning!
Amidst the troubling trend that churches are getting less of the charitable giving “pie” than ever (GivingUSA 2022 Report), millennials have suddenly become the generation to watch.
Good News: Millennials are re-engaging with churches
To everyone’s surprise, this “disruptive” generation is by-passing Gen X and Boomers in attendance, giving and volunteering.
But Millennials still have preferences
Like most demographics these days, Millennials want things on their own terms:
- Attendance & engagement: 52% of Gen Z and Millennials prefer virtual or “hybrid” (virtual + in-person) engagement. In fact, it is predominantly churches that offer both in-person and online services that are seeing growth. (Blackbaud Tipping Point 2021)
- Personalization: 60% of Gen Z and Millennials donors prefer personalized content, compared to 12% of Boomers. (Blackbaud Tipping Point 2021)
How Vision2 Can Help
Understanding current trends and how they influence generosity is key for churches, as this surprise turn of events shows.
We support the digital and ministry expectations of this returning demographic with:
- Multichannel giving (online, text2give, Give2 app)
- Engaging giving experiences (media-rich Give Stories that align with Millennials’ expectation of giving where they can see the impact)
- Personalized communications (especially thank-you acknowledgments)
- Simple, fast giving (Vision2 online experiences are optimized against the top 5 causes of gift abandonment)
REMEMBER, over the next 20 years or so, $84 trillion in private wealth will transfer from boomers to Gen X and Millennials. (Source)
Stay tuned for #2 and #3 of the top church growth opportunities of 2023.
Reach out to us below to learn more and be prepared for this unexpected Millennial turn and the massive generational shift that’s coming.